Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Maguindanao Massacre News Update

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Jesus Verzosa sacked five ranking police officials in Maguindanao province following the massacre of more than 20 civilians, including media practitioners, in Ampatuan town on Monday.

PNP spokesman Chief Supt. Leonardo Espina said Verzosa immediately ordered on Monday night the relief of Chief Insp. Sukarno Dichay, detailed at the Maguindanao Provincial Police Office (PPO), who was reportedly sighted in the scene of the incident along with members of the civilian armed auxiliary (CAAs).

Aside from Dichay, Espina said the PNP chief Tuesday morning ordered the sacking of Maguindanao PPO officer-in-charge Supt. Abusana Maguid and three other Maguindanao police officers.

Espina said the sacked police officers were placed under the custody of the PNP-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) in Cotabato City pending ongoing investigation.

Verzosa this morning flew to Maguindanao to personally oversee ongoing investigation and pursuit operations against the armed men who abducted more or less 40 individuals, more than 20 of whom were recovered dead, in a remote area in Ampatuan town.

"Investigation and hot pursuit operations are going on now for Maguindanao massacre. In fact, PNP chief Verzosa has flown to Maguindanao to oversee the investigation," Espina said.

On Monday morning, more or less 40 people, led by Genalyn Mangudadatu, wife of Buluan town Mayor Ebrahim Mangudadatu, and his younger sister and incumbent Vice Mayor Eden Mangudadatu of Mangudadatu town, and some media practitioners, were held by more or less 100 armed men manning a checkpoint along Sitio Crossing in Barangay Saniag in Ampatuan town.

Mangudadatu's group was on their way to file the certificate of candidacy of Ismael Mangudadatu for the governorship of Maguindanao when stop by the armed men, some of whom were identified as personnel of the Philippine National Police (PNP), and then led to remote village of Salman where they were massacred.

No comments: