Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Juan Ponce Enrile's Stand on RH Bill

By Jelly F. Musico

Senator Panfilo Lacson and Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile may have contrasting stand on the Reproductive Health (RH) bill but the former strongly believed that the controversial measure is not enough to oust Enrile.

"I have no question on his leadership. He handles well the Senate. Even Senate employees are happy with Senate President Enrile. So, one RH bill is not enough to remove a Senate President like Enrile," Lacson told the media.

Last Sunday, Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago warned that Enrile's firm stand against RH bill could lead to a coup.

"I don't think it's reason enough to oust Senate President. I'm against his (Enrile's) stand on RH bill and Sin Tax bill but I would not vote for his ouster. I would support his leadership," Lacson said.

Lacson said anybody who would want to oust Enrile should show first their numbers.

"It's always a question of numbers. If they (are) 13, then remove but if none, then they better salivate instead. RH should not be the basis," Lacson said.

Enrile, meanwhile, remains unfazed by the frequent coup rumors, saying: "I'm at the disposal of my peers."

"As I've said, I have no torrens title over the position of Senate president but at anytime, one like me could lose a seat if your peers do not agree with you and they have the numbers to unseat you," the 88-year-old lawmaker said.

Enrile said that he never imagined that his peers who elected him president late in 2009 would continue to support him in all the issues in the Senate.

No comments: