Sen. Francis Escudero Monday said the Sabah claim should not be used by his fellow candidates in the campaign for the May 13 mid-term elections.
"I would disagree to use it as an election issue both in the local or national campaign because it's a matter of foreign policy," Escudero said in the weekly Kapihan sa Diamond media forum.
Escudero, a re-electionist under Team PNoy, expressed fear that "it may result in war between two countries that's why any candidate should not intervene in whatever political reason on this issue."
He said he is supporting the position of President Benigno Aquino III when the Chief Executive urged the Sultan of Sulu followers to withdraw and discuss the Sabah claim in a legal and peaceful manner.
"So far, I agree with what the President did. He has no choice. He cannot support the way the Sultan of Sulu is using. They are armed," Escudero said.
Escudero said the position of President Aquino is supported by the international community.
"The position of the President on the issue has been recognized and supported by the international community. We cannot tolerate this mode trying to attract attention on a particular issue through armed struggle," Escudero said.
He explained that supporting armed struggle would worsen the situation of the Filipinos especially the more than 8,000 undocumented living in Sabah.