Friday, March 8, 2013

Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES)

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has allocated some P28.41 million for the implementation of the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) in Central Luzon this year.

DOLE regional director Raymundo Agravante said the labor agency is strengthening the SPES to help more poor but deserving students pursue their education by enlisting them during summer and/or Christmas vacations.

Throughout the years, the SPES in Region 3 has benefited countless of youth beneficiaries from the informal sector who wish to pursue and finish their studies and eventually land sustainable jobs," Agravante said.

Last year, a total of 9,574 students in the region were given an opportunity to work in private companies and local government units (LGUs) through SPES.

Agravante said they have achieved a 119 percent accomplishment rate in the implementation of SPES in the region last year, surpassing their annual target of 7,850.

The DOLE official has encouraged employers from the private sector to sustain their participation in the SPES to help more students.

With the onset of summer season, we are encouraging them to hire more SPES, he said.

Under Republic Act No. 7323, which was amended by RA 9547, the SPES is open to all qualified high school, college or vocational/technical students, and out-of-school-youth.

To qualify, a student must at least be 15 years old but not more than 25 years old.

Also, the combined net income after tax of his/her parents, including his/her income if any, does not exceed the latest annual poverty threshold level for a family of six as determined and provided by the National Economic and Development Authority and he/she must have obtained passing grades in the last school term attended.

Among the tasks they had include tax mappers, barangay survey personnel, encoders, school assistants, food service crew, gasoline attendants and promotion merchandisers.

The salaries of the students are in accordance with the prescribed minimum wage wherein DOLE shoulders 40 percent while the remaining 60 percent comes from the participating companies and LGUs.

Qualified students may already visit the Public Employment Service Office (PESO) in their locality and submit the SPES requirements, which include the duly accomplished SPES application form; copy of birth certificate; copy of latest income tax return of his/her parents or BIR certification that parents are exempted from tax payment; and certificate of good moral character issued by an authorized barangay official from place of residence.

Certification by the school registrar bearing the date of last enrolment and copy of original class card or Form 138, are additional requirements for SPES student-applicants.

No comments: