Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES)

The city government here has hired 400 student workers under its Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) this year.

The Public Employment Service Office (PESO) said that the first batch composed of 200 workers have been deployed effective April 1 to various city government offices and barangays. Those assigned in villages undertake the skills registry system- a project that identifies and records skilled workers in the area.

Meanwhile, as part of the holistic approach of the city government to the program, SPES workers will not only be assigned regular office work but will also undergo several activities like leadership training and other socio-civic activities.

Over the weekend they attended a Coastal Resource Management Orientation and coastal clean-up activity.

The second batch, meantime, will be deployed to their respective assignments starting May 6 until May 21.

A minimum wage of 220 pesos will be paid the workers, who will have to work for 22 days.

The city government will shoulder 60 percent of the total wage of students, while the other 40 percent will be paid by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

No comments: