The city government of Makati Tuesday reminded motorists that an ordinance banning the use of mobile phones while driving remains in effect.
Makati City Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay said the traffic ordinance that penalizes drivers who text while on the wheel seeks to protect lives and properties, including the life of the driver.
Binay said he has ordered an intensification of the drive against "texting" motorists saying these pose danger on the city's roads.
"We cannot allow unscrupulous drivers who have no regard for public safety to go unpunished for risking not only their lives, but the lives of others as well," he added.
Last year, the traffic enforcers of the Dept. of Public Safety (formerly MAPSA) nabbed a total 203 motorists for texting while driving, Mayor Binay said.
In its 2012 quarterly reports, the DPS said 52 violators were issued traffic violation tickets for violating the ordinance on the year's first quarter, 48 on the second quarter, 47 on the third, and 56 on the last quarter of the year.
The ordinance imposes a penalty of P250 per violation, and must be settled within five working days.
A surcharge of five percent or P12.50 per working day is charged after the allowed redemption period.
It was noted that most violators apprehended were private vehicle owners.
Aside from enforcers of the DPS, also deputized to go after "texting" motorists are personnel of the Makati Parking Authority, the Bantay Bayan and security guards of the Ayala Center Association.